Find Houses for Rent in Elkhart, IN
Elkhart is a city in Elkhart County and it's approximately 23 minutes from the city of South Bend. Homes for rent in the area provide families with plenty of opportunities of things to do. Explore over 50,000 square feet of indoor space dedicated to flowers and gardening at Linton's Enchanted Gardens. Catch a flick at one of the oldest theaters in the area, The Lerner Theater. Learn a little more about RV's by traveling to the RV/MH Hall of Fame.
Facts for Renters
- Elkhart was one of the first areas in Northern Indiana to be settled and established. It was first settled in 1830. That same year, the first city election was held. The city had 75 votes from male citizens. Eight people were elected, who all took on positions as city employees.
- Today this town is in Elkhart County, but it was once part of Dunlap County. Many newcomers may believe that Elkhart is the county seat of Elkhart. However, that seat is held by the neighboring town of Goshen.
- Before settlers came to the region, it was initially inhabited by the Potawami tribe.
- Dive back into a little history of Elkhart by visiting the Ruthmere Mansion, which gives you a tour on one of the first influential families in the town.
- Learn a little more about the New York Central Railroad by taking a trip to the National New York Central Railroad Museum.
- Develop a taste for art by visiting the Midwest Museum of American Art, which is also located in this city.
Resources for Renters
- Interested in learning about what's going on in the city right now? Want to read up on the hottest breaking news? Pick up a copy of the Elkhart Truth.
- Find out more about local schools in the area and figure out what you might want to know on the first day of school by visiting the Elkhart Community Schools website.
- Learn what there is to do around town, read a little more on this city's history or find out when elections are by checking out the Elkhart website.