Find Houses for Rent in Gary, IN
Gary is a city in Lake County, and is approximately 42 minutes from the city of Chicago. Homes for rent in the area give families plenty of options for things to do and places to explore in the region. Take a short trip to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, which is a park right beyond Union Station. Here people can go to the beach, check out the bathhouse, go picnicking or take a walk through the dunes on one of the many trails.
Facts for Renters
- Joseph Bailey was the first person to settle in the town in 1822. However, the land was not fully developed until well after the Civil War.
- Because of this destination's proximity to the beach, a lot of sand from the area was exported to Chicago and other major cities to help build and create objects, such as blowing glass.
- Gary was named after Elbert B. Gary, a judge for eight years.
- Gary soon became enveloped in the steel industry when the Indiana Steel Company came to town and set up shop. Because of the creation of the steel mill, many jobs were created in the city and commerce boomed. The city was also able to build many products, such as steamships to use in the local harbor.
- Later on, other types of mills popped up but the city was always known for its series of steel mills.
Resources for Renters
- Get to know the area even better and discover historical facts about this city by visiting the Gary website.
- Figure out what there is to do by picking up a copy of the Post-Tribune.
- Learn more about local schools and find out about enrollment by visiting the Gary Community School Corporation.